List of famous sex scandals
- Woody Allen: In 1992 he left his long-term partner Mia Farrow after she discovered his secret affair with her adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn. Farrow accused him of being a pedophile (she is 35 years his junior) and of abusing their seven-year-old daughter Dylan.
- Hugh Grant: hired a prostitute and was subsequently arrested by Los Angeles police.
- Michael Jackson: alleged to have engaged in sexual activities with a teenage boy in 1993 (a civil complaint that was settled out of court), and again with another one in 2003 (a felony complaint); in the latter case Jackson was arrested and released on bail. Jackson claims that there were never sexual activities, and defends nonsexual sleepovers as harmless.
- George Michael: arrested in 1998 for “engaging in a lewd act” in a public restroom in a Beverly Hills city park.
- John E. Brownlee, a former Premier of Alberta, was forced to resign in 1934 after allegations that he seduced a young woman. His party was wiped out in the subsequent election.
- Gary Condit, a California congressman, was revealed to be having an affair with his intern, which was alleged may have also led to her murder.
- Edwina Currie revealed in 2002 that she had had a four-year extramarital affair with John Major who would later become Prime Minister. Commentators were quick to accuse Major of hypocrisy, referring to his previous Back to Basics platform (a form of moral absolutism).
- Segregationist Strom Thurmond, the late US Senator had an African-American daughter out of wedlock. He fathered the child with Carrie Butler, then a 16-year-old maid in his parents’ household. Six months after Thurmond’s death on June 26, 2003, a 78-year-old African American woman named Essie Mae Washington-Williams revealed that the former senator was her father; a fact that Thurmond’s family confirmed. Her mother had been impregnated by the 22-year-old Thurmond at a time when miscegenation was illegal under South Carolina law.
- The Lewinsky scandal, in which sitting American President Bill Clinton engaged in a variety of sexual activities with his intern Monica Lewinsky. Clinton’s denial under oath made it worse and created, apart from the embarrassment, a legal problem that led to his impeachment.
- James McGreevey, former Governor of New Jersey, revealed that he was a homosexual and admitted an extramarital affair with aide Golan Cipel in 2004, making him the first openly gay state governor in American history.
- The Munsinger Affair, 1960s scandal involving several Canadian cabinet ministers and Gerda Munsinger, a Soviet spy.
- The Profumo Affair—British Secretary of State for War John Profumo attempted to cover up his affair with a showgirl.
- Uno Sosuke, Prime Minister of Japan, resigned in 1989, after less than three months when a geisha revealed that she had an affair with him.
- Alexander Wood, a magistrate in Upper Canada who was part of a gay sex scandal in 1810
- Grover Cleveland paid child support to a woman with whom he had an affair with in 1874.
- Marv Albert charged with biting a sex partner
- Pat O’Brien (television) for leaving sexually explicit telephone messages with a colleague
- Bill O’Reilly (journalist) was accused of sexual harassment, although complaint was withdrawn
Other public figures
- Clarence Thomas, a Supreme Court justice accused of sexual harassment by Anita Hill during his confirmation by the senate. Senate hearings on the subject attacked Hill and confirmed Thomas.
- The Minnesota Vikings American Football Team Sex Scandal, in which several players allegedly performed lewd acts on a boat cruise on Lake Minnetonka.
- The Roman Catholic Church sex abuse scandal, in which the church came under intense criticism and scrutiny for covering up the sexual abuse of minors by priests.
- The scandalous libertine existence of the sadistic Marquis de Sade in the 1700s.
- The Cleveland Street scandal of 1889 in London, in which a homosexual brothel apparently had a clientele of highly-placed personages, including Queen Victoria‘s son, the Duke of Clarence.
- The Margaret, Duchess of Argyll divorce case and the Polaroid photographs of the ‘Headless man’ from 1963.
- HRH The Prince of Wales.
- Under a court order, certain details of the scandal cannot be released where it may be viewable by the British public. It is alleged that Diana, Princess of Wales had tapes on which an aide has claimed he has seen the Prince of Wales in bed with one of his male servants.
- Divorce of the Prince and Princess of Wales after it was revealed both had been cheating on each other during their marriage. Major James Hewitt was also involved in this scandal with rumours surrounding the parentage of Prince Harry.